python a bust?

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 01:09:38 EST 2003

"Paul Foley" <see at below.invalid> wrote in message
news:m27k22mjwj.fsf at mycroft.actrix.gen.nz...
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:51:49 -0800, Brandon J Van Every wrote:
> > if it
> > was printed 3 years ago and someone else printed something 1 year ago,
I'm
> > going to go with the latter.
>
> That's a pretty dumb policy, unless it's about something that's
> actually likely to be out of date in 3 years.

I'm a Windoze game developer.  DirectX is *always* out of date, every year.
Not that I've yet deigned to buy a book on it, but I have browsed the
shelves occasionally.  And I do note that several versions of Python have
been shipped in the past 3 years, most recently 2.3.

> Which is unlikely for anything of real value

Prejudiced nonsense on your part.

> (XML books are out of date before the ink is dry, of course).

As are so many things in computer programming.  Throwaway APIs are de
rigeur.

> When it has to do with computers, the best way to get up-to-date
> information on the latest thing is likely to be to buy 30+ year old
> Lisp books :-)

You've gotta be kidding me.  Even 12 years ago, "Computer Graphics:
Principles and Practice" didn't teach texture mapping.  Along came DOOM.

--
Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed Mckenzie