Unicode and Zipfile problems

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Wed Nov 5 15:44:10 EST 2003

>Of course, this codec does not work for your original problem: Just
>see try it on your original data, and then see how Winzip
>misinterprets the file names.

You are of course right (although my original problem was not with the
filenames - I am using an english version of Windows - but with the
header information).

But, if you look at the number of people that have run into problems
with pythons strictness in unicode matters - isn't it time to offer
some more "relaxed" way of handling all this? I mean, come on, Python
is the language that will change the meaning of 7/3 because people had
problems with integer division. And, although some people use Python
for large multilanguage applications - I would bet that by far more
people use Python for lots of small utility scripts, and couldn't care
less about whether or not its "international". It just has to work, on
my machine(s). Its not rocket science.