Module variables

Hans Nowak zephyr01 at alltel.net
Wed May 28 12:57:05 EDT 2003

Cameron Zemek wrote:
> Okay I have been translating some pascal into python.

Been reading Jack Crenshaw's compiler tutor, eh? :-)

> I need to have
> variables with module scope. atm I'm doing this with "global" in methods
> that need to update the global variable. Is there a way todo this that
> doesn't need each function to declare what global variables it will need.

Rather than having a bunch of procedures, you could create a class and use
methods. E.g.

class Parser:

     def __init__(self, input):
         self.Look = ''
         self.input = input
         self.index = 0

     def GetChar(self):
         try:
             self.Look = input[index]
             index = index + 1
         except:
             self.Look = '\n'

...etc...

> Also what is the naming convention for variables and functions that are
> internal to the module?

There's no real convention, but some people use the _ prefix to indicate this.
  Ditto for objects.

HTH,