So, how long does it take to learn

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sun May 18 23:22:23 EDT 2003

>>> Graham Nicholls wrote
> I know thats an open ended question, but how long would you reckon it takes
> to get to be fairly productive, bearing in mind I've been preogramming for
> years ?

When I get new people starting with Python, I usually figure to give them
a day or two to read the online tutorial and also the online 'dive into
python', then a day or two of messing about. Then I start them on some
smaller tasks - sometimes just modifying existing code, or a small utility
piece of code.

It's usually not very long at all before they're productive. As you've
noticed already, the major issue is getting an idea of what's in the
standard library. Unfortunately there's nothing much to be done there
but to keep the basic module index handy, and when starting a new task,
have a look for relevant modules.

Anthony