State of DotNet

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 08:33:40 EDT 2003

As I have suspected, DotNet is not faring well, as can be seen from a
recent thread in microsoft.public.dotnet.general. I am just wondering,
what IF Microsoft has erred on this bet?? (The choice of the name
".net" was an horrible mistake from a beginning: it made it hard to
search on the web. Not a good sign.) Also, the idea of telling
programmers to bite the bullet and rely on a CLR a.k.a. "we know
what's good for you" just does not seem that attractive, especially
for people that have seen the rise and fall of Java. Is it unthinkable
that DotNet may be a mistake? What if it IS a mistake? Total chaos?
What would the implications for Python be? Stick with VC6 for a while?

Extract from the messages in the DotNet thread.

Negatives:

(1) "I've been working with the technology for over a year and am
absolutely sold. However, the job market potential doesn't seem to be
overwhelming at the moment..."

(2) "I've been using .NET for over 2 years now - since early
beta's - and some certification as well - and still no
projects been forth-coming (no commercial experience). I think most
organisations would be slow on the uptake on
new technology (Microsoft or otherwise)..."

Possitives:

(3) "I beleive it should improve soon since Windows Server 2003 has
just got launched (4/24/2003)."

(4) "Here in Europe I have the impression there is a .NET
upturn since a few months.  Many sources say .NET is about
the only skill set with a marked upturn in demand."

---------
Hung Jung