It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 5 17:13:41 EDT 2003

Nick Vargish <nav at adams.patriot.net> writes:

> > Anything that really few people use. Anything that isn't Windows or
> > Linux or Mac. Anything were you have to pay a lot for the hardware so
> > that few people can afford such a system.
>
> I find that kind of disheartening. You make it sound as though I chose
> to purchase these systems, and now must be punished.

Hmm. I merely defined the term "minority platform", since I was asked
for a definition. As a definition of a term for certain computers, it
does not characterize the users of those computers, except perhaps as
also classifying them as a "minority".

I originally used the term "minority platform" in the context "bsddb
is a standard package only on minority platforms".

> I will attempt to take the statement you make in a "limited
> resources mean we must focus on the systems that are most likely to
> be used" spirit.

I would actually like to see it in the "please consider the bigger
picture" spirit of my original posting. It is not that much a matter
of resources (although it also is), but more an issue of weighing the
needs of the larger user group (who get Sleepycat BSDDB as part of
their operating system, or their binary Python distribution) against
the needs of a much smaller user group, who are forced to use outdated
software by their system vendors.

Regards,
Martin