2.3b1 PackageManager fails to initialize, Mac OS X

David Lewis DavidMLewis.NO at SPAM.mac.com
Thu May 1 22:50:59 EDT 2003

In article <300420031655007042%DavidMLewis.NO at SPAM.mac.com>, David
Lewis <DavidMLewis.NO at SPAM.mac.com> wrote:

> I've built Python 2.3b1 from the tarball. I've got WASTE installed, so
> it built the PythonIDE, etc. If I select PackageManager from the
> PythonIDE file menu, I get a traceback from urllib2.py, when it tries
> to get
> 'http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/pimp/pimp-darwin-6.5-Power_Macintosh.plis
> t'. I can see that page in a browser, so that's not the problem. I can
> manually execute the following code in the PythonIDE interactive
> window:
>
>    import urllib2
>
>    f = urllib2.urlopen(
> 'http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/pimp/pimp-darwin-6.5-Power_Macintosh.plis
> t')
>
>    for line in f:
>       print line
>
> and that all works. Any ideas?

Ok, here's the answer, sort of: in pimp.py, the default database is
'http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/pimp/pimp-darwin-6.5-Power_Macintosh.plist'
and that gets redirected to the homepages.cwi.nl address. urllib2.py is
getting the new URL from the redirect, but is not handling it correctly
and erroring out by raising an AttributeError. I've submitted bugs, but
in the meantime you can change line 46 of pimp.py to point to the new
address and PackageManager will launch.