stipple, hot keys OK in Linux, no effect on Windows python

Tim Williams timothy.williams at nvl.army.mil
Mon May 5 22:36:40 EDT 2003

Hi.

I'm drawing a couple of ovals on a canvas widget, one with
stipple='gray25', the other with no stipple (solid). (Python 2.2, Pmw
1.1) On RH Linux, I get what I expect, a  solid color oval and a
'dimmer' oval of the same color.  When I try the  same script on a
Windows version of Python/Pmw, both ovals look the same.  I was hoping
to not have to draw something over my oval to distinguish them from
each other.

FAstipple='gray25'
            draw_icon(legend, x, y,
                      minewidth[minetype], mineheight,
                      shape='oval', stipple=FAstipple)
def draw_icon(canvas, x, y, w, h, shape='rectangle', fill='blue',
              stipple=""):
    if shape == 'oval':
        id=canvas.create_oval(x-w/2, y-h/2,
                              x+w/2, y+h/2,
                              fill=fill,
                              stipple=stipple)

Also, I have a Pmw.menubar with a couple of items. The hotkeys work
under Linux for the menu, but not under Windows. The hotkeys for IDLE
do however work under Windows.

        self.menubar=Pmw.MenuBar(self)
        menubar=self.menubar
        menubar.pack(side='top', fill='x')
        menubar.addmenu('File', 'File menu')
        menubar.addmenuitem('File', 'command', label='Dump file',
                            command=self.openfiles)
        menubar.addmenuitem('File', 'command', label='Exit',
                            traverseSpec='x',
                            command=self.quit)

Is this a limitation in Windows? I've tried this on Win98 and W2000.

Thanks for any help.