Python vs PHP for our rewrite?

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Sat May 17 06:53:41 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Where???  The cheapest I've seen these is more like $50 a month.
> Thanks.

Ok, the €8.95+VAT is Areaserver <http://www.areaserver.com/index.php>.
It's a little sketchy looking because they don't specifically state root
access, so they most likely just mean normal virtual hosting.  Their
allowance of disk partitioning and reselling threw me off.

The decent looking one though is Jumpline.com <http://jumpline.com/> who
offer a more precise term "virtual dedicated server".  Their plans start
at 14.95 a month and you have true control of the machine (root, chroot,
installation, persistent servers).  I've never used them, so I can only
go by the web page, but it looks good.

Speedfox <http://speedfox.com/> starts at $34.97 a month if you pay with
credit card on a 2-year plan, but it's not completely clear how much
control you really get with their "virtual private server".

Finally, Spry <http://www.spry.com/hosting/virtual-dedicated> offers
"virtual dedicated server" starting at $39.95, but are different by
being FreeBSD based as opposed to RedHat.

One worth being critical of is OnSmart
<http://www.onsmart.net/smartpriv.htm> who, while giving you full
control, only allocate 64MB of memory to your VPS for $39.95 a month.
Hmmm, now that I look back at the others they don't mention memory
allocation... that's something to check into.

Van