[Q]:Generate Unique ID's

Paul Rubin http
Fri May 23 18:33:02 EDT 2003

Joe Francia <usenet at soraia.com> writes:
> There's a CreateGuid() funtion in the pywintypes modules, which is
> part of the ActiveState python distribution (which includes the Win32
> Extensions):

I don't think you can rely on that function to create vast quantities
of unique ID's, e.g. one for each row of a billion-row database.
Usually those Windows guids are partly constant (based on MAC address).
They also can be a privacy leak in some situations, because they reveal
the MAC address.  So I think it's better to use a random number.