PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 5 12:41:55 EDT 2003

"W Isaac Carroll" <icarroll at pobox.com> wrote in message
> Here are my responses to the ideas discussed since I posted PEP 315.
>
> * PEP was submitted to be rejected

It was clear to me that you would like acceptance.  However, a
rejected PEP that lists several alternatives to the status quo and
their pros and cons will be a service to the community.

> I feel that the use of break is similar to the use of goto in the
past.

'Break' and 'continue' are recognized in language design theory as
restricted gotos, as is 'raise x' (or longjump() in C) .  They are
practical compromises with structured purity.

Terry J. Reedy