PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Mon May 5 16:07:34 EDT 2003

In article <3eb68fee_2 at hpb10302.boi.hp.com>, Daniel Fackrell wrote:
>> To condemn a change in a change in a language because it would result in a
>> usage different from how the language is currently used is just circular
>> logic. Not picking a fight, just an observation. ;)
>
> In case it might help, this is from PEP 1:
>
> '''
> Finally, a proposed enhancement must be "pythonic" in order to be accepted
> by the BDFL.  (However, "pythonic" is an imprecise term; it may be defined
> as whatever is acceptable to the BDFL.  This logic is intentionally
> circular.)
> '''

Substituting Alex Martelli's definition of Pythonic in that sentence gives
us: "...a proposed enhancement must be of, relating to, or resembling
Python...". This is hopelessly circular, to the point where you can draw no
useful conclusion from that requirement. Even if you acknowledge the
circularity from day (or PEP) one.

Erik Max Francis's definition was a bit easier to incorporate: "...a
proposed enhancement must seem to follow good style laid about by the
language Python...".

So, I guess it all depends on what the word means to you (or to the BDFL,
really). Not to mention your definitions of "good" and "style".

Cheers,
Dave