Newbie to Python

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Fri May 30 07:10:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003 11:11:57 +0200, lasterix wrote:
> I am new to Python

Welcome.  Hopefully your stay will be an enjoyable one.

> - What Editor do you use to write your code ?

I've yet to find an editing task for which Vim is a bad choice:

  <http://www.vin.org/>

Using Python allowed me to learn a bit about Vim, too.  The
"softtabstop" option allows you to use spaces for indentation, but edit
as though you had tabs (<Backspace> removes a whole level of indent, as
though it's a single Tab character).  This allows true "tabstop" to be
set at the canonical width of 8, and "softtabstop" to be set at the One
True Indent Width, 4.  Best of both worlds.

    :help softtabstop

> - Under Windows, are there functions concerning files (copying ,
> deleting ...) ?

Python is quite well set up to allow just about everything (file
operations, paths, etc.) to be OS-independent.  Read up on the 'os' and
'os.path' modules for the exceptions.

File deletion is the same across all platforms.  Copying can be done by
a function you write yourself, or call out to a command line with
system().

> - is it possible to run a Python application  on a PC that don't have
> Python installed ?

Not a good idea; your program is no longer portable, and will have to
bloat up to include all the binary and standard library stuff your
program uses.  However, if you still want to do it, I believe py2exe is
recommended by some.

--
 \     "For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph |
  `\   is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive"  -- D.H. Lawrence. |