High memory usage - program mistake or Python feature?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon May 26 15:14:54 EDT 2003

In article <3ED0C157.6060708 at klix.ch>,
Gerald Klix  <Gerald.Klix at klix.ch> wrote:

>Obviously your program makes three in-memory copies of your log file.
>Aahz explained why there must be at least two copies, I still
>wonder how you managed to do the third one.

Nope, two copies accounts for 100MB; 50MB is easily accounted for by
various bits of overhead.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93