Protecting Source Code

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri May 9 15:38:34 EDT 2003

John Wilson wrote:

> I'm very new to Python so this may be a silly suggestion..
>
> Could you not encrypt the .pyc files and use a custom importer to
> decrypt
> them on the fly?
>
> Key management then becomes the issue but there are various approaches
> that problem depending on your level of paranoia.

This won't work.  A malicious user could intercept the key so he could
then decode the data himself, or could trick the system by running
something other than Python as the main application, and have the
decrypted data sent to it.

/  \ The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
\__/ Oscar Wilde
    Bosskey.net: Aliens vs. Predator 2 / http://www.bosskey.net/avp2/
 A personal guide to Aliens vs. Predator 2.