Protecting Source Code

John Wilson tug at wilson.co.uk
Fri May 9 09:29:17 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Protecting Source Code

[snip]
> I have experience with such keys.  Many customers are very
> turned off by them, often to the point of refusing to purchase
> software that requires them.  This is not a generally applicable
> solution, I'm afraid, although there are markets where it is
> a good solution.

This isn't a normal dongle. It's actually a smart card in a different form
factor. I'm currently evaluating it for use as a key distibution mechanism
for a secure distibuted communication system. In cases where you have
reasonably physical security they are very efective. If the token is stolen
then at least you know that your security has been compromised and can do
something about it.

I certainly agree that it's vary rare to have code that you would need to
protect in this way - protecting data is the general reason for this type of
mechanism. I certainly don't like dongles myself!

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk