Compiling Python Modules With Visual Studio .Net?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu May 29 10:17:38 EDT 2003

John Abel wrote:
> I'm looking at upgrading my copy of VS6, with VS.Net, and I wondered if
> anyone had experience of developing Python modules with it?  Also, are
> there any problems compiling existing modules (4Suite, Numeric, etc)
> with it?  Is VS.Net worth the upgrade (I may be looking at
> VisualPython), or am I worth sticking with VS6?

If you are primarily concerned with Python, then VS6 is still your best
bet, as that is what all Python developers and major extension authors
currently use.  That may change in the future, but a recent discussion
on python-dev made it seem unlikely that Python itself would move to VS7
any time soon (but certainly didn't rule it out in the medium term)

If you have more than Python influencing your decision, then I am afraid
I can't help :)  But in general, most simple Python extensions, and many
complex ones, are known to work when built with VS7.  A quick test and
run of win32all certainly worked fine and anecdotes of others exist.

Mark.