[Q]:Generate Unique ID's

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 24 00:06:33 EDT 2003

<achrist at easystreet.com> wrote in message
news:3ECEEDAC.EA391634 at easystreet.com...
> What's the truly random algorithm?  If it's pseudo-random,
> don't I have the same problem initializing the algorithm?

Hmm.  How about this for the OP.  I believe the new 2.3 rng has a
period many bits longer than 2^32.  So start with a seed for machine
one.  Generate, say, 1 billion pseudo rns.  That is the starting key
for machine two.  Repeat for machine three.  As long as a machine
needs less than 1 billion ids over the life of the project, all should
be well.  Problem solved?

Terry J. Reedy