problems using magic '<broadcast>' socket address on differentplatforms

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu May 1 19:42:49 EDT 2003

andrew cooke wrote:
> is <broadcast> a synonym for an address like 255.255.255.255 or similar?
> if so, couldn't you use the numerical address directly?

"<broadcast>" is the INADDR_BROADCAST address.
Which is 255.255.255.255 usually. Using that address
directly doesn't help...

> only a vague suggestion, i know nothing about broadcasting - i guess
> that's why no-one else is replying either...

I googled around a while and couldn't find much of
interest on this specific issue.... :-(

--Irmen de Jong