Quick Question

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun May 18 02:33:01 EDT 2003

Smille Purusa wrote:

> Your requirement is beyond the capability of standard input.  To acquire
> the control of echoing, you need to get the control of the terminal in
> which your user is expected to input.  Check the 'curses' module in the
> standard library manual and I think that is the answer for your question.

If the original poster is using some Unix-like system, curses is
indeed one solution (not necessarily the only one) if getpass is
for some reason considered unacceptable.  On Windows, one might
go for the functions available from module msvcrt -- they're very
low level (one character at a time) but still might serve.

Alex