State of Python

Nick Vargish nav at adams.patriot.net
Sat May 17 00:07:22 EDT 2003

I don't really read print magazines much, except for a couple of
science oriented things like SciAm (getting thinner) and Science
News, so I can't comment on that.

The Borders in Rockville, MD (USA) has a good selection of Python
books, as did Readme.doc, though I haven't visited the latter in
several months.

I've noticed an increase in high-profile projects that use Python, for
example BitTorrent is very popular with the Slashdot crowd, and it's
written in Python. There's that PIM/E-mail client whose name escapes
me at the moment that's being implemented in Python. More than one
game company has adopted Python as their scripting language, and
there's a mainstream image manipulation program that's using Python
for their scripting engine (I think it's Paintshop Pro from Jasc).

I hardly think Python has "peaked". It's obviously alive and being
supported by an active and enthusiastic community. As long as that's
the case, and it does the jobs you want it to do, why worry?

Nick

--
# sigmask.py  ||  version 0.2  ||  2003-01-07  ||  Feed this to your Python.
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAqbusjpu/ofu?','')