Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Fri May 9 03:55:13 EDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 12:57 am, offer at sgi.com wrote:
> $ from phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk -#259084 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"
>
> >I hope that it will be officially supported when SIP v4 is released (SIP
> > being the tool that generates the bindings) which is a month or two (or
> > three) away at the moment.
>
> Okay.
>
> I'm assuming that the cost will be the same as it is on Windows ? Count me
> in.

The plan is that the OS X version will just be added to the existing
UNIX/Windows bundle. However the price of that bundle will rise, but the
renewal cost will stay the same (so existing customers will be unaffected by
the increase).

> Can you explain
>
> 	The right to distribute the required PyQt modules and QScintilla
> 	library with your applications so long as the users of those
> 	applications do not themselves have direct access to PyQt.
>
> I'm assuming that you mean that an application cannot provide an extension
> mechanism for itself, if that mechanism includes/requires access to PyQt ?
>
> However for a Python script that simply used PyQt to put up a dialog and
> was not extensible it would be okay to distribute the PyQt modules ?

You users must not be allowed to access the Qt API, otherwise they become Qt
developers and need licenses of their own. At the minimum, your EULA with
your customers must state that they are not allowed to do this.

Phil