An easy python-driven window manager

David McNab david at nospam-freenet.org.nz
Thu May 15 01:33:13 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm releasing a first cut of py-EvilWM - a window manager derived from
EvilWM, that can be totally driven from Python, and is mindlessly easy to
work with.

I had a bit of a look at PLWM, but it feels like a lot of work to get up
and running. Also, the PLWM examples with their lack of mouse support
weren't totally encouraging.

I've built pyEvilWM to make it super-easy to learn - once you look in the
test.py script, you'll be up to speed within a couple of minutes.

Note that this is a first release, and I can't guarantee total stability.
But it's working enough to let you get a feel and maybe whet your appetite.

You can download py-EvilWM from:
http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/evilwm.

(Contributions very welcome, especially if you're handy with low-level X
coding and can help putting in support for popup menus. At the moment, I'm
creating the popups by launching an external python tkinter prog.)

Cheers
David