Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue May 6 04:25:36 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> "andrew cooke" <andrew at acooke.org> writes:
>> Personally, I would be interested in something that covered the more
>> obscure / newer parts of Python.  I understand that you can generate
>> bytecode dyanmically, for example.  Also, what's the difference between
>> old + new style classes (including implementation)?  What do the various
>> special __ methods do etc.
>
> That belongs in the Python documentation, not in some book you have to
> buy separately!!!

"That" (each and every one of the items Andrew mentions) IS in the
Python documentation -- module new to generate bytecode (and other
stuff), descrintro for the difference between old and new style, the
sources for implementation issues (where they belong), the language
reference manual for the special methods.

Books that you MAY CHOOSE TO (as opposed to HAVE to:-) buy separately
can and do present the same information differently, e.g. in more
discursive rather than reference form, "all in one place" rather than
spread over tutorial and reference info and source files, with more
or different examples, and so on, and so forth.  And, why not?

Alex