Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu May 8 12:11:31 EDT 2003

On Thursday 08 May 2003 4:44 pm, sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote:
> > Phil Thompson [mailto:phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk] writes:
> > > My experience with the commercial version of PyQt doesn't agree with
> > > this.  While some organisations have licenses for dozens of
> > > developers, most are single user licenses.
> >
> > Hmm, interesting.  I mean, technically that would imply that most
> > organizations have a single developer owning all of the GUI, which
> > while perhaps true, wouldn't fit our team here.  There are UI elements
> > in all sort of components of our system (from embedded, to standalone
> > tools, to the primary product interface) and I'm not looking to lock
> > down a single developer for that - actually, I want to work harder to
> > let everyone participate in all aspects of the system.
> >
> > Now it would be likely that simultaneous work on the UI would be much
> > smaller, but the licenses seemed pretty well keyed to unique
> > developers using it.
>
> Does the license allow only a single developer to do any
> work using the product?  Does it specifically disallow other
> developers from working with it, at separate times?
>
> These --probable-- restrictions worry me somewhat, being an
> independant software developer.

The number of users refers to the number of concurrent users. I think the Qt
license is similar. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that the
usage does not contravene the license. Most organisations will buy additional
licenses to eliminate the risk - lack of management controls isn't an excuse
and the cost of the extra licenses is probably cheaper than management
controls anyway.

Phil