Monitoring outgoing web requests

Jay O'Connor joconnor at nets.com
Fri May 30 13:25:12 EDT 2003

In article <3ed78628$0$842$39cecf19 at news.twtelecom.net>, "Chris Rennert"
<Chris.Rennert at mdi-oshkosh.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a network administrator and would like to get into using Python for
> scripting programs that I could use on the job.  One project I would
> like to do is monitor all outgoing web requests (port 80) and record
> their destination address in a text file.
> I don't want someone to feel they have to write it for me I just would
> like to be pointed in the right direction.  I am currently reading
> through the chapter on Socket programming in Programming Python. Any
> help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks in
> advance,

Would just monitoring the web access log file and parsing the entries in
it work?

To monitor the traffic actively througha port I would think you would
need to actually listen on that port, record the ip address coming in for
a request and the forward the request back to the real web server
listening on another port.  It can be done, but seems a bt much for
tracking ip addresses

--
Jay O'Connor
http://www.r4h-music.com

"God Himself plays the bass strings first,
when He tunes the soul"