Automatic Software/Date Update Distribution

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed May 7 17:15:09 EDT 2003

One of my clients has the following problem they'd like to solve.
My server of choice would be FreeBSD 4.8-based and I'm wondering if
anything like this written in Python already exists:

1) Company has about 100 traveling users who connect to their
    home office via dialup and broadband.  Users are all running
    Win/XP.

2) Company wants to create a software/data-update server which is
    as automated (user-proof) and secure as possible.  The server
    will sit behind a NATing firewall and have the appropriate ports
    tunneled through for this service.

3) CVS and similar mechanisms are probably too complex for these
    users.  They more-or-less need "one-button" access.  This could,
    I suppose, be implemented with CVS with an appropriate front-end
    script.

4) The company will take care of making the updates self-installing.
    I just need to help them set up the server (easy), define a
    process for staging and storing the updates on the server (easy),
    and implementing the client-side mechanism (less clear).

Does something like this exist?

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com
PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/TundraWare.PGP.Keys.txt