Trouble with the 'email' module

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 10 14:08:01 EDT 2003

"Amos Joshua" <snails at softhome.net> wrote in message
news:5a8e622e.0305100204.693a990f at posting.google.com...
> I'm writting an email client, retireving and parsing into
> email.message's works, here's the printout of an email message
(using
> the _structure iterator from email.iterators):
>
> multipart/mixed
>     text/plain
>     text/plain
>     multipart/digest
>         message/rfc822
>             text/plain
>         message/rfc822
>             text/plain
>         message/rfc822
>             text/plain
>         message/rfc822
>             text/plain
>         message/rfc822
>             text/plain
>     text/plain
> I'm not really sure how to phrase my question. What I want to do now
> is display this message object as a message to the user.

This is your design decision.  I have seen both

Option 1. Concatenate the texts and images, perhaps with separaters.

Option 2. Display first(?) as main body and list rest as attachments.

Outlook Express does option 2 as mail reader but, at least for some
attachment types, both 1 and 2 as news reader.  IE, it will display
both text and attached jpeg *and* list jpeg as attachment for separate
opening in another program or saving separately to disk as jpeg rather
that email.

Terry J. Reedy