State of Python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri May 16 10:59:13 EDT 2003

In article <3ec4f1c8$0$623$a1866201 at newsreader.visi.com>,
Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>In article <9eabe547.0305160511.1c5516a0 at posting.google.com>, John
>Howard wrote:
>
>> Also, my local Borders bookstore has practically eliminated Python
>> books from its shelves. Everything seems to be Perl and/or Java.
>
>There seem to be plenty of Python books at the Minneapolis
>MicroCenter.  The problem is that the brain-dead gits have no
>idea where to shelve them.  Rather than under "P" in the
>"Programming Languages" section next to Pascal and Prolog, they
>usually put them in the "Unix" section.  Except the O'Reilly
>ones -- those go in the O'Reilly section.  Sometimes.  :/
			.
			.
			.
One of the scary things about the world is that it's at
least possible that arrangement results in more sales
than a more rational one you or I would institute.  A
lot--a LOT--of book sales are to people who ... well,
they're not the target audiences you and I have in mind
when we're discussing Python aesthetics, abstractions,
expressive power, and so on.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net