passing by refference

Doug Quale quale1 at charter.net
Tue May 13 17:14:55 EDT 2003

Joshua Marshall <joshway_without_spam at myway.com> writes:

> Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> > if the latter, you're wrong.
>
> I do mean that the arguments are objects.  If you feel I'm wrong, it's
> because we disagree about terminology.  Though I've come to see that
> meanings of "call-by-value" and "call-by-reference" used in c.l.py are
> often non-standard.

Don't worry -- Aahz is wrong, you're right ;-)

Call-by-value and call-by-reference don't have multiple meanings.
They are precisely defined terms in Computer Science.  Unfortunately
people often substitute their own incorrect ideas about what cbv and
cbr mean, and not just in this group.  It's a very common confusion.