Looking for a basic GUI tutorial

m98aslin212 sfwe at swe2.com
Tue May 6 19:12:28 EDT 2003

Hi Russ,

PythonCard is really quick and easy.  I've been using it for some time now,
but I have to say that it is still an unfinished product.  I frequently have
to fall back to wxWindows/wxPython widgets, from which PythonCard is based.
Problem is, the documentation for wxWindows was written for C/C++ so you
have to do a little bit of interpreting to figure it out for Python.  Boa is
an excellent IDE for Python using the wx widget set.

"Russ Schmidt" <SchmidtRW at y12.doe.dov> wrote in message
news:Xns9373A2759496ERWSBWXTY12DOEGOV at 160.91.22.101...
> "Kevin Altis" <altis at semi-retired.com> wrote in
> news:a1Rta.30$ge2.59831 at news.uswest.net:
>
> > You might try looking at some of the links from a Google search to get
> > a broad overview
> >
> >   http://www.google.com/search?q=event+driven+programming
> >
> > If you add Python to the search you'll narrow the list down further,
> > so these may be the kind of answer you're looking for:
> >

> > http://home.att.net/~stephen_ferg/projects/ferg-event_driven_programmin
> > g.htm l
> >
> >   http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutevent.htm
> >
> > Stephen Ferg who wrote the "Introduction to Event-Driven Programming"
> > above also wrote the EasyGUI package which lets you use a GUI for
> > input and output but avoid the normal GUI event loop since all input
> > and output is modal.
> >
> >   http://home.att.net/~stephen_ferg/projects/
> >
> > I'll also take this time to plug my own project <wink> since you are
> > looking for a simple way to get an interactive, event driven GUI
> > running. The first two tutorials by Dan Shafer on the PythonCard
> > documentation page walk you step-by-step through the creation process
> > using PythonCard.
> >
> >   http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
> >

> Thanks to you and the others who answered. I skimmed the material from
Alan