How should I name this package?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed May 21 09:10:25 EDT 2003

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> "Hartmut Goebel" <h.goebel at goebel-consult.de> wrote in message
> news:3eca8631$0$26913$9b4e6d93 at newsread4.arcor-online.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just finished an implementation of the MANAGESIEVE protocol (see

Great.

[...]
> I have no idea what these are, but looking aesthetically...
>
> > Now I'm unsure about the naming of the package:
> > - sievelib.py        like imaplib.py
>
> OK if accurate

It's not accurate, though.  sievelib suggests an implementation (or
wrapper) of the Sieve language itself.

> > - managesieve.py     since it doe not implement SIEVE scripts, but
> >                       the MANAGESIEVE protocol
>
> sieveman.py naively strikes me better

That name would mean little to me if I weren't reading it in this
thread -- and I use Sieve!  'man' suggests unix man pages -- 'maybe
this is some tool for searching man pages?' would be my first thought.
managesieve is much better.

> > - managesievelib.py  since most protocol module are called *lib
>
> ugh.  4 syllables is too many.  3 tolerable, especially  if one is
> short

managesievelib would be OK, but it's long, and the 'lib' doesn't do
much work.  managesieve is OK.

John