Python vs PHP for our rewrite?

Dave Benjamin dave at 3dex.com
Fri May 30 19:35:24 EDT 2003

"Mike Brenner" <mikeb at mitre.org> wrote in message
> I agree that more companies host PHP than Python, but I did not think
> of this as a performance thing. There are a bunch that host Python.
>
> I guess we will have to do some exact timing on PHP vs. Python.

I wrote a simple templating system in PHP, and then rewrote it in Python.
The Python version was about three times faster than the PHP version,
including the overhead of mod_python. This was one of the things that led me
to switch to Python for most of my web programming.

Not by any means a scientific report, but I think you will find Python
faster than PHP for many tasks. PHP's the quicker route to simple pages in
terms of development time, though, and definitely has widespread support
(along with MySQL) with the hosting companies.

Cheers,
Dave