dBase in Python, sorta?

rzed rzantow at ntelos.net
Sat May 17 11:21:21 EDT 2003

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
news:ba4dmm$2ul$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> In article <ba3136$t54$1 at mailgate2.lexis-nexis.com>,
> rzed <Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com> wrote:
> >
> >Is there an existing Python-based product or package that fills the
> >ecological niche that dBase once filled? That is, something with a
> >database backend, some data management utilities, a convenient forms
> >and reports generator ... runnable on Win2k (for my sins)? Does
anyone
> >here use such a package? Any recommendations?
>
> There's no one package, but you can probably roll your own fairly
easily
> using any of the backends, PythonCard, and ReportLab.

Thanks for the reply, Aahz. It's about what I believed to be the case
(though there does seem to be one package out there (rekall), as Helmut
Jarausch points out. I'm surprised that there aren't more, really,
because it probably would be a relatively smooth task with Python's
assistance, and speed issues (the only commonly-cited drawback to
Python, in my opinion) wouldn't arise for most uses of such a package.

--
rzed