Newbie poll: GUI building in Python

Kannan Vijayan kav062 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 19:56:11 EDT 2003

C42 <nospam at nospam.net> wrote in message news:<BQ9ya.309$Z24.227011 at monger.newsread.com>...
> After spending some time researching wxPython and Tkinter, I can't help
> but wonder, "Do most people create their original GUI designs from a
> text file or do they use some other tool (wxDesigner, etc.)?"
>
> I must admit that I am from a VB world and designing my GUIs via text is
> somewhat unusual to me.

I mainly use Tkinter when I have to put a GUI on things..
and I generally do manual layout.  I nearly always use the grid layout
system (grid_configure, grid_rowconfigure, grid_columnconfigure).  It's
not exactly the easiest to grasp at first glance, but I find that once
you are reasonably familiar with it, it is a lot simpler and more powerful
than the traditional pane packing system.

I've never really used a graphical layout tool though.. so I can't really
make a comparison.

-kannan