OT: Re: Just took a look in the perl newsgroup....

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon May 19 15:11:32 EDT 2003

Graham Nicholls schreef op maandag 19 mei om 17:28:03 +0000:
> Subject: Just took a look in the perl newsgroup....

Does it have a bad atmosphere?

> And remembered why I decided I must learn Python :-)

I have never read the Perl newsgroup. I have, however, once encountered
a thread with a very bad atmosphere in c.l.py, and then found out that
it was crossposted in c.l.pl...

I have heard c.l.ruby has a great atmosphere, too.

My first ng-experience was nl.comp.programmeren, which has a very
bad atmosphere...

> I clearly need to learn "the Python Way", which _is_ quite different,

Apparantly, it is. That may be the reason for me that it'll get
very difficult to learn ever another language...

> and
> has its good and bad points (stamps foot.  I _want_ a case statement).

Similarly, some want a ternary operator. I don't know whether you were
here yet with the PEP-308 discussion, but this lead to countless
changing .procmailrc's. There is no decision taken yet.

The ternary-discussion keeps coming back. The same is true for case, to
a lesser extent. Maybe a PEP-333 should for once and for ever end this
discussion, too.

> But thank goodness for the sparse syntax, and minimalism.  I guess I'll live
> with no case

> just to forget about @ % $ etc.

Heh heh. I have been looking at Ruby code and thought it contained a lot of
@, % and $. Now a a random line from a random .pl:

$math_start_rx = "(\\\$|\\\\\\(|\\\\math\\b)(\\begin(($O|$OP)\\d+($C|$CP))tex2html_wrap\\4)?";

Am *I* happy about raw strings!

yours,
Gerrit.

--
63. If he transform waste land into arable fields and return it to its
owner, the latter shall pay him for one year ten gur for ten gan.