It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 2 20:18:34 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> What's a minority platform?  Anything that isn't Windows?

Anything that really few people use. Anything that isn't Windows or
Linux or Mac. Anything were you have to pay a lot for the hardware so
that few people can afford such a system.

> I was using Redhat 7.2 which I thought was a pretty common platform.
> I didn't import bsddb, I imported anydbm and got a bsd database.

Yes, and that was a Sleepycat BSDDB database. On Redhat 7.2, the
bsddbmodule.so is linked with db-3.2.so.

> In my case I simply woke
> up one morning and found that the version of Python that I was running
> had changed from 1.5.2 to 2.2 and my script was crashing as a result.

I'm still uncertain as to why this happened. Can you run "file" on the
old and the new database format?

> What kind of bugs, at least in the one-reader, one-writer case?

It corrupts the data when it exceeds a certain size. I don't know the
specific conditions, but users encountering the problem consistently
reported this when the file grew beyond a certain size.

Regards,
Martin