A little disappointed so far

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue May 20 05:15:36 EDT 2003

Chris Siebenmann schreef op maandag 19 mei om 22:55:12 +0000:
> You write:
> | > BTW,
> | > open ($file) || die "Couldn't open $file"
> | > strikes me as rather readable. And concise.
> |
> | What is readable for '||'? What does '||' mean?
>
>  It's a Bourne shell idiom:

Well, I do know it, actually, but I wanted to make clear that
"readable" is relative. The only reason '||' and '&&' are
readable for most people is because of C and Perl. I mean with
readable that it's readable for newbies/non-programmers. Then,
'or' and 'and' are better than '||' and '&&', and try:... is
more readable, too. When focussing on readability, it is in
my opinion better to make it readable than to copy the syntax
of well-known tools.

yours,
Gerrit.

--
158. If any one be surprised after his father with his chief wife, who
has borne children, he shall be driven out of his father's house.