Just good advice? = WAS("Re: getting system date")

David Broadwell anti-spam.dbroadwell at mindspring.com
Sun May 11 23:52:57 EDT 2003

"Bengt Richter" <bokr at oz.net> wrote
> >If so: Suggestions?
> I second the advice to use the interpreter interactively to find out
> what is going wrong. But I think there is a general principle involved
> that seems to be ignored in many newbie posts, namely the need for
analysis,
> by which I mean (from the first 2 wordnet senses):
Thank you for the advice.

> This also avoids fooling yourself with leftover state in an interactive
session.
That one i learned the hard way ... then though it may be a bit more cpu
expensive i've been far more handy with the 'del' statement. Which was when
i started naming them paranoia tests ...

> You may also want to look into the unittest module, for automating tests
in a systematic way.
Yeah, that's on my todo list ...
Though since i kinda hack my way in the interpreter, writing a test suite
before hand only works if i've though it to def level yet. Often times i
haven't, though once i get there, i've usually got a 'fairly' clear idea of
the returns I need.