Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Wed May 7 19:02:30 EDT 2003

Kevin Altis wrote:

> But that brings up another good point of why native widgets look and > feel may no longer be crucial.

This whole GUI business is rigged. Some of the retail stores are no
longer carrying any Windows app that doesn't have an MS certified
compliance sticker on the box.  Can a Qt app get that?

You gotta use the standard system color for your screens to comply
with the MS standards? Yecch!

Compliance with standards is the key to success and prosperity,
right up until the point when you run out of money or MS moves
the goalposts.  MS (Great Plains) is perhaps my biggest
competitor nowadays.  They don't follow my standards, why should
I follow theirs? But I digress.

I really like a couple of things about wxPython:  1 -> Sizers,
and 2 -> You can embed the various wx widgets into Html without
a lot of commotion.  The sizers let me develop on a machine with
low resolution and big fonts that suits me, and things will run
OK on a machine that isn't.  The HTML window lets you really do
stuff to create a sense of mood, place, purpose, or progress with
your app.  This is much easier than you can get by dragging and dropping
standard droppings onto standard catchings.  It's HTML:
you don't have to worry much about forms and sizes, fit and
rendering, etc, hooray.  You can work quickly and look good, using
sizers for the widgets and percents to size the HTML.

I don't know anything about Qt.  Someone will tell me it can do all
this, too, maybe.  But not for free.

Al