Where does win32 python command prompt history happen?

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Wed May 14 12:45:12 EDT 2003

When I run python in a command window (dos box) on WindowsXP, I get
simple command history. For example I can press the up-arrow key to
get previous commands typed to the prompt.

My question is, where does this happen? I've looked at the code and I
can't see it. I've even built a debug build and stepped through it,
and I still can't see it. As far as I can tell it must happen down in
the Windows KERNEL somewhere. Can that be? Is this stuff documented
anywhere?

Thanks
gb