Request for feedback on my first Python program

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Sat May 31 07:57:29 EDT 2003

In article <MPG.19419ac796796a739896f2 at news.hevanet.com>,
Scott Meyers <Usenet at aristeia.com> wrote:
>  - Is it better to get into the habit of (a) importing modules and using
>    fully qualified names or (b) importing selective names from modules and
>    using them without qualification?  That is, which is generally better?
>
>      import sys               # a
>      sys.exit(1)

   This is generally better, unless the fully qualified name
gets ridiculously long.  B is vulnerable to

>      from sys import exit     # b
       ... 1000 lines of code ...
       def exit (something):
           ... some code ...
       ... 1000 more lines of code ...
>      exit(1)

   I doubt that anyone would actually do this with exit, but
something less well knows could be covered up this way.  Of
course, nothing actually prevents `sys = 17` and its
consequences, either.

        Regards.        Mel.