101 Ways of distributing python programs?

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Mon May 12 11:17:24 EDT 2003

In article <7h3k7cws79g.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>,
 Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:

> "Andreas KLostermann" <bluetigger at web.de> writes:
>
> > I know that there are ways to produce windows and linux executables
> > out of arbitrary Python programs. For Mac I am not sure at all.
>
> There are ways for the Mac, but I'm not too familiar with them.

PyObjC comes with ProjectBuilder templates for making standalone OS X
applications using Apple's Cocoa toolkit for fully native user
interfaces.  These can use the built in OS X command line python
(requires X.2 or later) or you could package up a different python
version with your application.

MacPython supposedly has or had the ability to make standalones, for OS
9 as well as OS X, but I was never able to get it to work.  Several UI
packages are available including tkInter (never worked well for me) and
W (Just vR's package, not cross-platform, but works well enough).  It
also can produce "applets", much smaller executables that need MacPython
to be installed on the target computer.

If you just want a command-line executable without a GUI, OS X.2 has
python 2.2 installed, and is no different from other unix versions.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/