Why do my python programs no longer see network broadcasts.

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Sun May 4 12:46:29 EDT 2003

A recent upgrade of my linux system to RedHat 9 has caused all my Pyro
programs to stop working.  By running several tests involving
Demo/sockets/{brodcast.py,radio.py} (the simplest test of broadcasting
to be found) and using another machine on the network, I've been able
to trace the problem down to the fact that programs on the upgraded
linux machine do not see the broadcast packets. They can broadcast
just fine, but never recieve a broadcast from anywhere.

So this is more likely to be a network problem than a Python/Pyro
problem, but I thought I'd ask here first anyway.  Does anyone have a
clue of what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help,
Gary Herron