Comparison function as class method: how?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri May 9 04:55:34 EDT 2003

<posted & mailed>

Jeff Stewart wrote:

> That helps a lot.  But what is the D-S-U idiom?

Using Google's advanced group search for D-S-U in comp.lang.python
gives 46 hits and the first few ones should entirely clarify that.

> And how is someone supposed to know about staticmethod()?  I couldn't find
> it anywhere in the Tutorial, Language Reference Index, or Library
> Reference
> Index.  Is there a better place to go for documentation?

Similarly googling for staticmethod on c.l.py gives 238 hits, and
may turn out to be a bit too much for a simple introduction.

I think it's documented in the "What's new in Python 2.2" document,
and in the built-in functions page of the Library Reference *for
Python 2.3*, but it might have been missing from the 2.2 one.

Not to tout my own horn, but, I do think it's reasonably clearly
documented (not that it needs much documentation!) in the Nutshell...;-)

Alex