A little disappointed so far

Graham Nicholls graham at rockcons.co.uk
Sun May 18 22:04:28 EDT 2003

Graham Nicholls wrote:

> Erik Max Francis wrote:

> I really don't wan't to attack python, but your attitude strikes me as
> somewhat less than helpful, and I posted for some help, perhaps in looking
> further to see that I was mistaken, rather than for a flame war.
>
>> Chances are if you're doing something that
>> you think is incredibly difficult, there's either 1. something
>> preexisting that does it for you or 2. you're approaching the problem
>> the wrong way.
> With 25 years programming experience, I have a good idea by now about my
> apprroach to programming, but thanks for the patronising comment, anyway.
>>
>>> So no flames please - enthuse me some more!
>>
>> It's hard to know how to enthuse you when your complaints are
>> non-specific and at least partially seem to involve ignoring precisely
>> the tools made available to you to make your life easier (e.g., getopt).

Sorry if that was intemperate - I'm a bit prickly on the net sometimes.  My
apologies.  You've all been very helpful, and  I am going to persevere.
Now, I've just got to get this script working.  I'm damn well not going to
use getopts, so I'll waste a couple of hours working out the "best" (for
me) way of parsing args :-).  Better put the coffee on, its 03:00 in
London, and I really ought to get something working b4 the morning.  I
actually think I've already done it in C, but thats NOT THE POINT!!!!

I'm too easily distracted - hence the getopts stuff - I want to do it right,
and was disappointed that Python didn't _seem_ to make it easy.  Anyway,
I've lots of pointers now, so I must get on with it.

Graham

--
Graham Nicholls
All round good guy.