Maximize a Tkinter window in mswindows

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Thu May 8 18:46:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 14:39, Federico wrote:
> How can I maximize a Tkinter Window in ms windows like pushing the 2nd
> button on the top-right of the window?

A close approximation can be this:

def maximize_toplevel( widget ):
    toplevel = root.winfo_toplevel()

    try:
        # On MS Windows one can set the "zoomed" state.
        toplevel.wm_state( 'zoomed' )
    except:
        w = root.winfo_screenwidth()
        h = root.winfo_screenheight() - 60

        geom_string = "%dx%d+0+0" % (w,h)
        toplevel.wm_geometry( geom_string )
    return

I haven't tested the "zoomed" options; remove it if it isn't working for
you and adjust the "60" to whatever value works for you.  I don't know
of a good way to automatically find the correct value for any system.  I
also don't know if an event that simulates the "maximize" button of the
window manager can be sent (sadly).

finally, see:

http://effbot.org/zone/tkinter-toplevel-fullscreen.htm

--

Chad Netzer
(any opinion expressed is my own and not NASA's or my employer's)