Traceback disapears before I can read it!

John Ladasky ladasky at my-deja.com
Mon May 12 09:55:10 EDT 2003

Jordan Krushen <jordan at krushen.com> wrote in message news:<opro08t1aq5ctagx at shawnews>...
> On 11 May 2003 13:53:23 -0700, John Ladasky <ladasky at my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > O.K., all of you professional snake charmers, how do you debug in a
> > GUI environment?
>
> I just code in SciTE: http://scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
> It has an output window which displays any tracebacks, and even hops to the
> appropriate section of code upon double-clicking.  Works great with
> wxPython.
>
> J.

Grrr.  Yes, I almost forgot about Scintilla.  I downloaded SciTE a few
weeks ago, and after failing to get everything out of it that was
promised, its capabilities slipped my mind.

I actually write my Python code in SciTE, and I'll probably write HTML
in it as well.  I like the way that SciTE has a rudimentary
understanding of a language's syntax, keywords, and indent
conventions.

Where am I stuck?  I haven't figured out how to connect the editor to
the Python interpreter.  I found F8 which opens the output window
Jordan mentioned, and F5 which will theoretically pass my program to
the Python interpreter.  But when I try F5, the output window reads
"The system cannot find the file specified."

Gosh, that was helpful.  I thought we had left the age of cryptic
error messages behind.  What file did the system fail to find?  Where
was it looking?

I'm guessing that I can fix this error by editing path names in the
"SciTEGlobal.properties" and/or the "python.properties" files.  If
only I could figure out where to look... the SciTE documentation
hasn't helped me, thus far.  I would be most grateful if someone would
share their knowledge here...

Yes, I could do most of what I want with a DOS prompt, as another
poster suggested.  But it seems so tedious, and I know that I will be
giving up some important features.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Biology