GUI in Windows

morden morden at shadows.net
Wed May 28 18:57:09 EDT 2003

Chad Netzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:15, morden wrote:
>
>>Suppose I need to do some GUI on Windows. My understanding is that
>>pythonTk is flaky on Windows.
>

> And where is this information from?  I'd guess Tkinter on Windows is
> about as stable as any of the 'portable' widget sets out there, with the
> possible exception of QT.  I haven't yet used WxWindows, but there are

Is QT more or less stable?

> many supporters in that camp, and it may also be quite 'stable (I'm
> honestly not sure).
>

>> My top requirement is that the toolkit is robust.
>

> What does this mean to you?  Tk is very unlikely to crash, and the
> Tkinter wrapper is very well tested with it, up to at least Tk version
> 8.3 (8.4 is still a bit too new to be fully trusted, as some things have
> changed)

Ok. 8.3 then.

>> The second requirement is that the widget set is large.
>

> Okay.  Tkinter along with Pmw may be large enough, without knowing any
> more.
>

>>I don't need anything fancy though,
>

> Hmmm.  Do you really know what you want or need?  This seems to
> contradict what you just said above.
>

>>buttons, comboboxes, widgets for entering text/integers/date/time/etc,
>>tables, groups, top and pull down menus.
>

> Tkinter along with Pmw has all that.  In fact, Tkinter alone has all
> that, but Pmw has some nice helpers.
>

>>If it's portable it's a plus.
>

> Agian, Tkinter plus Pmw.
>

>>Again, I want something with extensive track record and _very stable_
>>like pythonTk wrapper on UN*X platforms.
>

> Tkinter.  Pmw.
>

>>Thank you.
>

> What GUI programming experience do you have?  What toolkits have you

I have only experience using proprietary hui toolkits on top of Motif
targeted at C++ developers. I hate them (the toolkits, the Motif and the
developers :-)

> used?  What do you need that Tk doesn't have?  Can you be more specific
> about your needs?  The above requirements are vague.  Tk has the benfit

I listed pretty much all the widgets that I need in my previous e-mail.
What I meant by a "large" widget set were pretty much all the things listed.

> of being around longer than just about any of the portable widget sets,
> and is actively maintained, so I'm not sure why you discount it.  Most
> people who move on from it do NOT do so because of 'stability' or 'track
> record' issues, I would venture.
>
> Having used Tkinter a *LOT*, I'm ready to try WxWindows and/or QT.  But
> Tkinter serves it's purpose well enough.

Ok. Since you claim that Tkinter is stable under Windoze I guess that
would be my bet then. Besides, I assume the code will run on UN*Xes also.

Thank you for all the info.