MySQLdb warnings ... what caused them?

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Tue May 13 15:12:12 EDT 2003

OK, let's just say I "solved" this problem, and would like to crawl into a
hole now and hide.

However, in fairness to the newsgroup, I will show the problem that caused
the warning (it was a data truncation problem):

mysql> DESCRIBE test
    -> ;
+-------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| ID    | varchar(4)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| name  | varchar(8)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| phone | varchar(10) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+-------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

c.executemany("""INSERT INTO test (ID, name, phone) VALUES (%s, %s, %s)""",
    [ (1, "mary", "111-222-3333"),
      (2, "john", "444-555-6666"),
      (3, "steve", "777-888-9999")] )

Notice that the phone field only allows for 10 characters to be stored, but
I'm trying to insert data into that field that is longer than 10
characters.

Oy!

/me goes into hiding mode.

--